- Established in 2008, Statistics Without Borders (SWB) is a volunteer outreach group of the American Statistical Association (ASA) that provides pro bono services in statistics and data science. We work to improve decision making and knowledge in efforts that promote welfare through the proper application of statistical principles and best practices, where access to such resources is limited.
- SWB arose from the excitement generated by a topic-contributed panel entitled “Statisticians: Speaking Out and Reaching Out on Global Health” at the Joint Statistical Meetings by Steve Pierson, Gary Shapiro, Jim Cochran, and Fritz Scheuren.
- SWB advocates objective, impartial, and sound decision making using best statistical practices.
- SWB provides analytical services through client projects for public benefit that support goals that are non-religious, non-political, and non-personal, with a focus on developing countries.
- SWB assists organizations outside of the for-profit sector, with priorities given to organizations with limited access to statistical resources.
- SWB strengthens its clients and their communities by helping them build their capacities in statistics, data science and analytics, and promotes best practices in these areas.
Read the SWB Charter.
- SWB does not accept payments or remunerations of any kind.
- SWB does not collect any volunteer fees or subscription dues.
- If you would like to donate, the ASA will accept donations earmarked for SWB use.
- All donations are used 100% for SWB projects and are never used for payments or reimbursements.
Press and Publications:
Read some of the articles about SWB and several publications involving SWB, and watch several of our webinars.
Read more about our Executive Committee members.